Screen Grab Confab, vol. IV
~ 09 June 2005 ~
Call it the volume with more volume.
Same rules as before, but this time around we’ll crown one lucky 320px square as “Most Delicious Screen Grab” — the screen grab that leaves us itching to see more; the one that just oozes creativity. The pixel-wielding warrior behind the winning square will claim one copy of his/her Screen Grab Essentials&trade, guaranteed* to elevate your aesthetic talent and surround you with inspiration sufficient to produce even more delicious screen grabs.
Screen Grab Essentials includes all of the following:
- Avenir 45 Book - Insanely suitable for web and print, this Frutiger-tooled typeface is a top five fav, destined to become the same in the hands of the winner.
- Nat Vignette One - Vignettes and flourishes at your command with a single keystroke.
- Miles Davis, “Kind Of Blue” - If I ever dare travel from Iowa City to Chicago and listen to only one song, it’ll be one from Kind Of Blue.
- Veer tee of your choice - Pick a card, any card.
- UPDATE Jim just fattened the prize package with the always-essential Jewelboxing 20pack.
- UPDATE David just juiced the deal with a $100 pre-paid email newsletter account at Campaign Monitor.
As always, code, design, and just about anything else is fair game. But don’t be stupid — pornographic or other suggestive material will be deleted, and don’t jeopardize client work. A recap of the rules:
- Do a screen grab of whatever you’re working on right now. It could be a layout, it could be print, it could even be code.
- Crop a 320px × 320px portion of it at 100%. Obviously, the entire screen grab won’t fit within those dimensions, but the point is to only whet our appetites and make us want more.
- Post as a comment using <img src=”” /> with the grab hosted on your own server. Feel free to link the image to a full-size version, but only the 320px square is required.
And these are NOT sponsorships, if curious. These are handpicked jewels for your screen confabbing pleasure.
The asterisk meaneth…* Okay, not really.
Comments ClosedCommenting is now closed. Winner to be announced shortly.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.