Nine skills that separate good and great designers
~ 29 September 2006 ~
Last Friday I had the pleasure of presenting “Essential Web Skills” at Webmaster Jam Session in Dallas, Texas. It was a veritable blast, and the conference organizers were certainly a pleasure to work with. I won’t delve into a lengthy play-by-play coverage of the proceedings; Andy Budd seems to have done so nicely.
Without blatant disregard to humility, I’d like to think I delivered the most effective presentation I’ve given to date, but one never knows for sure just how well a topic resonates with the audience.
On that note, available for your perusal (and judgement) are audio/slide files from the presentation. NOTE: There’s a lot of silence on the audio, like 10 mins worth, at the beginning.
- iTunes audio
- .mp3 at webjamsession.com
- Slide deck (.pdf, 11 MB)
- BONUS: Quicktime movie of slide 31 (recipe iterations)
The crux of the session were comparisons of good and great designers, structured along the lines of previous articles I’ve written: Good designers (blank), Great designers (blank). Following is a recap of the 9 skills presented.
- Believe “less” is more
- Fix problems
- Are inspired within a genre
- Treat text as content
- Use good typefaces
- Code for one instance
- Believe “less” and “more” co-exist
- Prevent problems
- Are inspired by their total environment
- Treat text as UI
- Use good typography
- Code for many instances
Download the audio and slide deck if you’d like to learn more.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com