Only 3.4 years remaining
~ 07 April 2004 ~
Ugh. I hate transferring data to a new machine. And I loathe backing it up.
Last week my work PC was upgraded to a matte black Dell 2.0 Ghz, a step above my #E5E4DA-colored Gateway 866 Mhz machine. Sadly, an upgrade to Mac OS X wasn’t part of the deal. Hail personal PowerBooks.
In the process of switching, I found one of my all-time fav screen captures, taken while transferring data a couple years back:
Other than the inserted red arrow, this is an actual capture—no Photoshop tricks here, Detective Slick. Apparently my machine stalled or something while transferring a paltry 500 MB of data.
I calculated 1,789,568 minutes in terms of days. That’s only 1,243 of ’em—3.4 years if anyone’s counting. At that breakneck rate, I’ve got only about a year left before I can transfer the next 500 MB of data.
Also in the process, I stumbled across another 50 or so screenshots, promptly adding them to my /screenshots archive. Someday I’ll faceplate a pretty page to house the screenshots. For now, here are a few of my favs from the recent addition:
- Someone forgot to tell Farmer’s Almanac that print and web mediums really *are* different
- MSN in the Palaeolithic period
- For die-hard Adidas aficionados, Nike *cough* is “eevil, like the fru-eets of the dev-eel” (name that movie line?). But holy Peter this layout still looks good today.
- WSJ’s embarrassing beginnings (sadly, this screenshot was taken around late 2000, believe it or not)
- Excite headline blunder – government officials and mad cow disease? Maybe it wasn’t a blunder…
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com