Only 3.4 years remaining
~ 07 April 2004 ~
Ugh. I hate transferring data to a new machine. And I loathe backing it up.
Last week my work PC was upgraded to a matte black Dell 2.0 Ghz, a step above my #E5E4DA-colored Gateway 866 Mhz machine. Sadly, an upgrade to Mac OS X wasn’t part of the deal. Hail personal PowerBooks.
In the process of switching, I found one of my all-time fav screen captures, taken while transferring data a couple years back:
Other than the inserted red arrow, this is an actual capture—no Photoshop tricks here, Detective Slick. Apparently my machine stalled or something while transferring a paltry 500 MB of data.
I calculated 1,789,568 minutes in terms of days. That’s only 1,243 of ’em—3.4 years if anyone’s counting. At that breakneck rate, I’ve got only about a year left before I can transfer the next 500 MB of data.
Also in the process, I stumbled across another 50 or so screenshots, promptly adding them to my /screenshots archive. Someday I’ll faceplate a pretty page to house the screenshots. For now, here are a few of my favs from the recent addition:
- Someone forgot to tell Farmer’s Almanac that print and web mediums really *are* different
- MSN in the Palaeolithic period
- For die-hard Adidas aficionados, Nike *cough* is “eevil, like the fru-eets of the dev-eel” (name that movie line?). But holy Peter this layout still looks good today.
- WSJ’s embarrassing beginnings (sadly, this screenshot was taken around late 2000, believe it or not)
- Excite headline blunder – government officials and mad cow disease? Maybe it wasn’t a blunder…
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.