The vinyl sketchbook (sans the vinyl)
~ 20 October 2004 ~
Just recently I had the pleasure of meeting the team at Humaniz Interactive. They’ve done a good deal of respectable work for the likes of Iomega, 3Com, and even AdvancedMD.
But it’s their do-it-yourselfer album-cover designer’s sketchbook / notebook that makes this step-by-step tutorial worth penning. The only thing you’ll be asking yourself when finished is, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
- Head over to the local thrift store.
- Grab the most dated, funkadelic vinyl record album you can find.
- Purchase and return home.
- Remove vinyl.
- (optional) Play the album before proceeding.
- Head over to the local Kinko’s.
- Greet Kinko’s sales rep warmly and then ask, “Um, can you burn this LP to a CD?”
- With snicker, say “Joking. Seriously though, can you turn this album cover into a notebook?” (Note: Avoid using ‘sketchbook’ as you’ll likely get a dazed look.)
- Ask rep to crop the album cover to 8.75” × 11.25”, add 100 sheets of blank 8.5” × 11” paper, and then bind with spiral wire.
- Take to work the next day and enjoy praise from colleagues.
Oh, and need inspiration for the pages of your latest creation? Check out this little gem: The Bearskinrug Sketchbook.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.