Amazon’s new paint
~ 21 October 2004 ~
Is it just me, or did Amazon launch a major masthead redesign?
Just for the record, here’s the Amazon/A9 hybrid I spotted earlier today (note the A9 search bar which now appears to be part of the drop-down only):
And here’s the previous masthead:
I see two great articles in the making:
- Compare and contrast the former mast with the new one. Why the changes? Why does the concept work? Does it fail? How about the “All Categories” idea? Does it hold water? Can we expect to see other e-comm stores follow suit? The history of Amazon nav from two rows of tabs down to just two tabs? Etc.
- Is the merging of Amazon.com and A9.com inevitable? When can we expect the two sites to function as one? Or can we continue to expect two separate sites but tighter integration? Pros/cons of sticking with two sites — one is a process (purchase) while the other is an application (search)? Etc.
I don’t have the time right now to dive into those two subjects, but if you do, pen an article and drop me a line. I’d love read your thoughts.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com