Scouting the programming elite
~ 31 December 2004 ~
Given my total ineptitude when it comes to all things programming, I occasionally require freelance assistance from those of you can code, run, compile, and all those verbs so foreign to me. I’ve got a respectable list of design contacts, but my programmer black book runs thin and is need of a refresh.
Therefore, if you’re the crème de la crème in the programming community and are available from time to time for freelance work, please contact me and I’ll consider adding you to the list following a review of your qualifications.
What I’m looking for:
- PHP, Perl. Note your experience with web apps & functionality, everything from logins to shopping carts to databases and so on.
- CMS. Any experience you’ve had with content management systems, preferably those that are turn-key and need not be entirely customized with each project. (Standards-based preferred though not required.)
- Standards-compliant XHTML & CSS. Though I prefer to do all of my own markup, I sometimes need help on rush projects when there are too many tasks to tackle.
- Anything else worth noting. Successes, URLs, relevant languages I’m not familiar with but should be, etc. This isn’t a job interview for Pete’s sake, but cut through the hype and show me why it’d be worth my time to outsource work to you.
Comments are either closed or disabled for this article.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.