Workshop: Designing Elegant CSS Interfaces
~ 15 August 2006 ~
This bit of news is both exciting and intimidating simultaneously. I’m pleased to announce my Carsons Workshop coming up this October 13th in London: Designing Elegant CSS Interfaces.
I’ll be your host for a full day of “understanding of how to design interfaces that are a savvy blend of graphic design, human computing, and visual communication.”
Exciting because there’s a TON of of great information I hope to convey in an engaging and entertaining fashion. Intimidating because I’ll have to engage and entertain for 8 hours straight.
Some of the things we’ll cover:
- Wireframing, iterative design, and prototyping: What’s useful and what’s not
- How to streamline the design process by beginning with the “core” of a UI
- From image comp to coded page: How to design with CSS in mind
- CSS as an efficient tool for interface repurposing in co-branded apps, forum software and the like
- Beyond the basics: How to refine and polish beautiful designs
This will undoubtedly be one chance to teach you “everything I know”; or more like “everything I know, and lots of stuff others know” as I certainly don’t presume to know everything about UI design. I may even cover techniques used to design some of the work in my portfolio. But hurry and sign up as the workshop is less than two months away and seating is limited to 40 attendees.
Can’t make it to London? I’ll hope you’ll join me for one of these other upcoming events:
- Refresh06 — November 16-18, Orlando, FL. I’ll be presenting UI design techniques and principles, though not nearly as in-depth as my London workshop. Presentations and workshops by Jeremy Keith, Nate Koechley, Brian Fling, Andy Budd, and others.
- Webmaster Jam Session — September 22-23, Dallas, TX. I’ll cover essential web skills, alongside other great speakers such as Eric Meyer, Derek Featherstone, and Jared Spool.
And if you’ve got nothing else to do in September, you might fill your entire month with conferences on three continents.
Ego gone wildThat bit about being the “undisputed king”? I’m flattered. But they probably meant undisputed king of… boredom.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.