UI design sessions (and help decide where)
~ 23 October 2006 ~
I suppose it’s time I mention a recap of “Designing Elegant CSS Interfaces”, as well as related stuff on the table. All things considered, the workshop went really well, based on attendee reviews and those I spoke to after the fact. The Carsons threw together a fantastic overall workshop package, and hanging out with them was a veritable blast. And visiting London proper was certainly a treat, of course; the only letdown being a lack of time to hang out with other friends in the area.
For those who couldn’t make the transatlantic trip, similar conference material and workshops will be available in the coming months. Here are a couple:
- “Fundamental UI Design Practices” at Refresh06 (Orlando). Join me for a fast-paced session in which I’ll present only the best material from my London workshop and pack it all into one hour.
- “Interface Design & CSS” at Web Design World (Boston). This will be somewhat akin to the London workshop, with material split evenly between theory, design instruction, and CSS tutorials. The material tends to be suited for intermediate designers, though beginner and advanced designers won’t be ignored. PROMO: Use the priority code “AUTHC” and receive $200 off the full conference package. Offer expires November 8.
Additionally, I need your input on the following:
1. Where to hold “Designing Elegant CSS Interfaces” stateside? The Carsons would like to repeat the same workshop here in the states. Cast a vote for the city of your choice by leaving a comment.
2. Your interest in a virtual seminar? I’m also considering a 60-90 minute virtual seminar broadcasted by web/phone — similar UI design material — for those of you in more remote locations. Speak up if you’d be willing to pay to “attend” a seminar from the convenience of your own office.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Wornamental, Thornamental
- AJAX design terminology
- UI design sessions (and help decide where)
- The witty works of Hanoch Piven
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.