Decorate vs. Communicate: The article you’ll write
~ 21 November 2005 ~
Here’s where you come in: Be a contributing author for the upcoming article, “Good Designers Decorate, Great Designers Communicate”. Leave your pensive and concise thoughts about this subject in the comments, and I’ll then play the role of editor and compile noteworthy comments. In other words, I won’t write anything for this article — you will. I’ll simply compile your thoughts in an organized fashion.
A few guidelines:
- Keep your comments short and concise, say 5 sentences or less. This will make it easy for you to leave a comment and hopefully ease the burden of editing for me.
- Glance over the other comments to avoid duplicating what’s already been said.
- Enter your website address (not in the comments but in the designated form field) if you want me to link to you if/when the article is published.
- Should you need help getting started, read Eight things I wish I’d known when I started (#4). This is where I first mentioned decorating vs. communicating.
Who knows — this idea could totally flop or it could totally take flight. Let’s have some fun with it and see where it goes.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.