The Year in Summary: 2005
~ 17 December 2005 ~
Wow. What a ride. 2005 was a killer ride, indeed.
My fourth son was born. I made the leap to full-time freelancing. I had the opportunity to do work for Google, March of Dimes, Joyent, English360, Hiram College, Vivabit, and several other great companies. I contributed to a book due out next February. I presented at SXSW 2005 and WebVisions 2005. And much more.
Next year is showing no signs of slowing, with contracts already on the burner, at least two speaking engagements nationally and internationally, and hopefully lots more.
A big thank-you to you, the reader, for your valuable contributions, thoughtful insight, and enjoyable banter. You all keep me coming back to bang away at the keyboard.
While I’m offline, please enjoy a selection of articles from the last 12 months:
- Chiasmus and the Poetic Pagination - How a “chiasmus” — a common literary style found in poetry — determined the page layout for a product brochure.
- The non-typographer’s guide to practical typeface selection - Though this article was widely read, the fact that Erik Spiekermann commented (to correct me, no less) still makes me giddy nine months later.
- Zaadz and the Evanescent Design Crew - With the client’s full trust in hand, I had the unique pleasure of hand-picking a crew that included the likes of Jason Santa Maria, Ryan Sims, and other top designorati.
- How-to: ‘Giving To Hiram’ masthead - Quick steps for recreating the masthead on the Giving to Hiram mini-site.
- Screen Grab Confab, vol. IV - As with the previous three endeavors, loads of inspiration in this fourth volume.
- Mobile Web Design ~ The Series - You’ll probably never see Part 4, but only because we feel the first three parts are plenty sufficient.
- Design Eye for the Idea Guy - In which I recap our preso at SXSW 2005. And in which I relink this to hype up Design Eye ‘06 at SXSW 2006 (huuuge site on the roster, kids!).
Bring on 2006!
Comments are either closed or disabled for this article.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Jobs home page reorg
- Coming soon: Mobile Web Design, the book
- Dyson ad: Text as more than just words
- Setting sail for Europe
- Review: Sumo Omni bean bag chair
- Dashboard widget for Authentic Jobs
- Limited-time offer: $99 listings
- Nine skills that separate good and great designers
- Fire sale
- Introducing AuthenticJobs.com
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.