~ 08 June 2006 ~
Never did I think I’d set foot in the state of Arkansas. Much less live there.
Or here, that is. Just as surprising to me as to you, the Moll family has landed in Arkansas, of all places. We’ve stopped here as part of a lengthy pit-stop before moving on elsewhere. I repeat: This is temporary. While the area is scenic and amiable, we plan to be here only a couple months or so. Undoubtedly, someone will forget that, and the next time I speak at a conference the program will state I hail from Arkansas.
To all who guessed we were moving to Cali on behalf of Google, Yahoo, Apple, etc: You’re too kind — I’m flattered. Most of you know we’ve been through that already. But this move comes as a pro-active venture on our part, crazy as it all sounds.
Even crazier was the 4-day road trip and all the packing, planning, and madness before leaving. Some of the highlights:
- Perhaps the most enjoyable stop during the trip was just outside Vail, Colorado. We exited the car only to be welcomed by what had to be Jeffrey pine trees, as their bark gives off a very distinct vanilla scent. It was like stepping into a giant room full of air fresheners. Only 100 times better.
- Worst business name seen during trip: “Mane Event Salon” in Salina, Kansas. How enticing.
- Speaking of Kansas, is there anywhere in the state where the wind doesn’t blow 30 mph constantly?
- Best in-trip hack for lost binky management: A big ol’ rope did the trick just fine.
- Best in-trip tech assistance: Google (46645) and Yahoo (92466) SMS search for finding hotels and such.
- Best pre-trip car mod: Moll emblem slapped on the ol’ tanker.
- Most amazing post-trip discovery: That one of our sons had broken his arm two weeks ago (fell off a slide) and we had no idea. He’s been complaining it hurt. So Suzanne took him in yesterday, and lo and behold, it was snapped clean through. Insane.
- I’m learning how to pronounce things properly here. Favorite word? “Ten”. Pronounced “tee-un”.
Final note: If you’re local and interested in having me speak at your organization, institution, etc. while I’m still out here, please contact me. I’d love to take advantage of the opportunity.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, freelance new media designer, author, and speaker. More…
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Workshop: Designing Elegant CSS Interfaces
- Seven years ago I was...
- Uninspired? Unplug yourself
- Specky four-eyes
- Worn traveler
- Free W3C webinar: Success!
- Free W3C webinar: "Mobile Web Design"
- .net magazine: Fine reading for web developers 1
- Screen Grab Confab, vol. VI
- Tee'd up
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.